Friday, January 27, 2012

Welcome

Welcome to my blog! As a three-time author, my goal is to assist prospective authors through the publishing process - tips on landing an agent, what goes into a proposal, what to expect from your publisher, and how to promote your book once it comes out. I chose the name "Throwing Spaghetti at the Wall" to provide a sense of the perseverance that it takes to succeed. You'll be told "no" far more often than "yes," but a constructive no can help put you in good shape for a future yes. My intention is give you hope, humor and stick-to-itiveness to help reach your publishing dream.

My own story is one of perseverance and struggle - my first book, The Prohibition Hangover, took six years from inception to publication - and probably 40 percent of that time was trying to sell it. The next two books came much quicker: once you're established, you get better at knowing what a publisher wants and expects from its writers. And you get better at promoting your work, learning from both success and failure at what makes a good author event. I'll tell a few humorous stories along the way.

The publishing industry is undergoing rapid change, as consumers are shifting away from print media and towards digital. There are a number of parallels to the music industry, what with the rapid digitization, and authors (like rock bands) have to spend far more time promoting their work than before. CDs are disappearing, but books will still be around. Print media won't completely die - it's simply transforming into something else. These changes are happening regardless, and all we can do is embrace this change. It is, after all, what consumers want.

I welcome your thoughts and questions as we explore the road to publishing together.

Garrett Peck
www.garrettpeck.com

I take my writing seriously, but don't take myself seriously. 


No comments:

Post a Comment